Monday, November 07, 2005

The magic begins...

Ok ok I'll admit it, that first post was just a tester, hey you were all first-time bloggers once too. So here goes nothin'. On to knitting talk, because of course what would a knitting blog be without knitting talk? That one is an easy one, it would be just a blog, and my knitting blog (possibly named Hal, that one is still up for debate) is not just a blog. It is a knitting blog.

So onto knitting… My first project is a baby blanket, stop freaking out Mom I'm not pregnant. I just needed something small to wet my appetite, something that I could finish pretty quick, yet something without seams and not a scarf. This is my pretty much first project. I say pretty much first project because even though I've completed a scarf, a holey one at that, started another scarf, stopped halfway through that one, and also started a dishcloth, lost the pattern a few rows from completion (it was knit corner to corner folks, I was so close I could taste it) this one is the first that is actually going to amount to anything. I have to say the first scarf was going ok though, I just got sick of plain ole garter stitch (much respect goes out to all those who use it a lot) and the dishcloth would've turned out pretty good too, darn my ability to lose something in 5 seconds. So maybe I should say that it is actually my third project (there's no way I'm counting the holey scarf) or one of the first projects that is going to be completed. My second (or fourth depending on which way you're counting) project is the Branching Out scarf from knitty.com. When this one is finished, because it will get finished, it will become Christmas present for my sister, who by the way has never received anything that I have made, so I'm hoping she will like it. I'm loving this pattern by the way. I'm loving them both actually. I love all the yarn overs, k2togs, ssk, and all the others, well not all the others I'm hating the s2 k1 p2sso. This one is the one that's going to drive me to the crazy home. The blanket is "Wavy Ripple" from Leisure Arts "Baby Ripples to Knit" and is made using Caron's Simply Soft in white. The scarf is made with knitty's suggestion of Silky Wool in Moss. After the baby blanket is finished I have to start another one for a new addition on my husband's side of the family. I think I'm going to do another on out of the same booklet, since I really am enjoying knitting this one. And after the scarf I'm going to start another one just like it, color will be cinnamon, or another lace scarf that I can do with that yarn. Any suggestions?

Hopefully you guys enjoyed this newbie's first real post. Oh yeah here's a pic of my WIP baby blanket. I'm nearing completion on my scarf so I'll just post a finished pic of it later.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Your blanket is beautiful. I think you made a good choice in project selection.

You can count this as whatever project you want. You can always think of the others as just practice. :)

ChelleC said...

Beautiful blanket! You are doing fantastic, and I can't believe how lovely your Branching Out scarf is! Great job.

Where did you get your welding wires? I've been wanting to get some of those but don't know where to go or what to ask for. Chelle

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Your blanket is coming along great! It looks beautiful. White always seems to make things look so elegant.

Courtney said...

Thanks guys...

Well my husband is actually a welder so we had them in our garage but they actually do have welding stores out there. Check the yellow pages for welding and maybe they will have some in your area. I think you would have to find one of those, I'm not sure they carry them in a hardware store (home depot and such) but you could always check there too. Just make sure they are stainless. I also took 400 grit sand paper and sanded mine really smooth. I actually stuck them in a cordless drill and spun them around while running the sand paper up and down them. Hope you are able to find them, if you need more help let me know.