Tuesday, August 05, 2008

A Bit Old School....

Well I guess the Ravelmpics has me pumped up about blogging too b/c I'm back. What is this like two days in a row, WOW. Well I don't have anything current to blog about, I only finished a few rows of the Wild Stripes since the picture was taken, only four more rows until I'm officially a third of the way through the knitting part YEAH. So anyway I'm bringing back past projects, that's right baby I'm going old school. Actually it's not that old at all. It, Sally the Eco Fairy, was a birthday present for my youngest niece's first birthday this past May. There she is in all her glory. I was really happy with how she turned out, even without the curls. Oh the curls....I saw another fairy on Rav that was just the cutest thing I've ever seen and all because she had this head full of curls. Below is my half finished version.Yes I did attempt the curls and yes the curls defeated me. I was cranking them out, oh wait let me back up a bit. Did I mention that I started this thing a week before her birthday. Yes you heard me right. With that in mind I was a bit uncertain if the curls would get finished so I knit the straight hair from the pattern "just in case". Then I started cranking out the curls, a bit in between parts of the doll and tons after the doll was finished. I bet there's at least 20 curls on just that one side. Well I was actually starting to believe I would get this thing done, curls and all. Then of course I ran out of yarn and that skein that I just knew I had was gone. I looked everywhere it was nowhere to be found, so off to Michaels the hubster and I went. What happened next was a sign, they didn't have anymore of the Bernat Soy. Oh well, I have to say it was a bit of a relief, a weight was definitely lifted off my shoulders. I walked out of Michaels knowing full well that I wouldn't have to crank out curls the next whole day. I would simply sew on the straight hair and call it finished.
See all those ends, I hadn't quite figured out what I was going to do with them, nor how I was going to sew each of the curls on yet but lucky I didn't have to worry about that. Not to mention when I found out the following weekend that Sally had taken a swim in a toilet I didn't feel so bad about not finishing the curls. Yeah so I saved all those curls and low and behold within a few days I found that missing skein. He was hiding in my knitting bag, imagine that in a knitting bag who would've thought. Anyway so sometime I'll break out those curls and make my own Curly Sally, and no swimming lessons for my Curly Sal.

No comments: